What we are doing
So Puppet 3.0 recently came out. It has Hiera support built in. Along with this PuppetDB 1.0 was released, which is supposed to be a very handy and very fast means of centrally storing catalogs and facts about your Puppet clients. Librarian is a project I recently ran across that helps coordinate the modules in your Puppet environment, unfortunately its not packaged. I don’t usually like using Puppet Lab’s softwre repositories directly, but am for this because the software isn’t in EPEL yet.
So all I’m really doing is help layout a proof of concept environment using these tools.
- You have enabled PuppetLab’s repositories.
- You are not going to implement it this way in production. That would be bad, m’kay?
- You are going to notice than installing librarian as a gem completely overwrites your package installed version, thus validating why this in production is bad.
yum install puppet puppetdb puppetdb-terminus
gem install librarian-puppet # don't forget the -puppet... librarian is something different
- Make sure your fqdn is resolveable. Right now we are using a single host, so I’m just using localhost not the fqdn.
- Populate /etc/puppet/puppetdb.conf with the following
123[main]server = localhostport = 8081
- Set the puppetdb server in /etc/puppet/puppet.conf
123[master]storeconfigs = truestoreconfigs_backend = puppetdb
- If you are using a separate host ensure that /etc/puppetdb/jetty.ini has the servername set to our fqdn. If its unpopulated, check it again after you run puppetdb-ssl-setup below.
12host = puppetmaster.example.comssl-host = puppetmaster.example.com
Initialization of Puppet and PuppetDB
So PuppetDB’s SSL setup is very strict. For now, just make sure that you are
Adding modules using Librarian
- First, prepare your puppet install for Librarian to control your modules directory
123cd /etc/puppetrm -rf moduleslibrarian-puppet init
- This will have created a PuppetFile in /etc/puppet
- Add a puppet forge module into PuppetFile
- Add a module from a git repository into PuppetFile
12mod "augeasproviders",:git => "https://github.com/hercules-team/augeasproviders.git"
- Tell librarian to build your modules directory
- Check out your handy work
Configuring Hiera and preloading some data
ya.. need to get to this part..